What is an Aircraft Mechanic?
An aircraft mechanic ensures the quality and safety of the plane, from the nose to the tail. They maintain the overall operation of the aircraft by performing scheduled maintenance checks, diagnosing problems and repairing or rebuilding components.
Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Licensed Airframe Mechanics:
- Perform routine maintenance checks of the airframe, its components and systems such as landing gear, oxygen, environmental, de-icing and electrical and hydraulic systems
- Repair or replace components as required
- Think strategically to troubleshoot and resolve issues
- Maintain repair logs to document preventative and correction maintenance
- Conduct tests to ensure aircraft components, equipment and software are working
Aircraft Mechanic (Airframe): Program Outline
A long-term career with a good salary, job advancement opportunities and the chance to work with your hands and cutting-edge technology.
Start on the pathway to becoming an aircraft mechanic through AJAC’s apprenticeship program. To find out how you can become an apprentice and launch your career in aerospace or manufacturing, visit AJAC’s Get Started Section.